We’ve organized the resources in a logical sequence to help people who are new to the business architecture discipline get started. However, even if you’re a seasoned practitioner, we think you’ll find many great new resources as well.
Enjoy and drop us a line if you’d like to us to consider recommending one of your favorite resources.
Just Getting Started
These are the absolute top resources we recommend when you want to just start familiarizing yourself with business architecture.
- Read the S2E What is Business Architecture? white paper
- Read Business Architecture: Setting the Record Straight, a Reprint of Chapter 2, Part 1, from William Ulrich and Whynde Kuehn in Business & Dynamic Change: The Arrival of Business Architecture, as well as the excerpt on Business Architecture: Dispelling Ten Common Myths
- Read Part 1 of the BIZBOK® Guide from the Business Architecture Guild®
- Watch the Business Architecture Guild® Business Architecture Overview webinar
- Read the S2E The Value of Business Architecture white paper
- Read the S2E The Strategy Execution Metanoia white paper
Ready to Learn More
Once you are ready to go deeper and learn more, these are the next set of resources we recommend.
- Join the Business Architecture Guild® (individual or corporate membership)
- Download and familiarize yourself with the Business Architecture Body of Knowledge™ (BIZBOK® Guide) from the Business Architecture Guild®
- Sign up for the StraightTalk blog by Whynde Kuehn and guests for a simplified, end-to-end understanding of business architecture and read the back issues
- Watch interviews with Business Architects discussing the usage and value of business architecture to their organizations (requires Business Architecture Guild® membership)
- Read the S2E Business Architecture Integration white paper
- Read the S2E The Business Architecture Practice white paper
- Read Business Architecture: Putting “Business” Back into Enterprise Architecture white paper by William Ulrich and Richard Soley
- Read the previous Business Architecture Guild® Business Architecture Innovation Summit presentations, available throughout the Public Resources page
In addition to being a Guild member, these resources will help keep you up to date with the latest in business architecture news, resources and thought leadership on an ongoing basis.
- Join the Business Architecture Guild® Business Architecture Perspectives LinkedIn group
- Participate in the Business Architecture Guild® Forum (requires Business Architecture Guild® membership).
- Join S2E on LinkedIn and Twitter to stay on top of the latest in business architecture news and resources
- Attend the monthly Business Architecture Guild® webinars (requires Business Architecture Guild® membership)
- Stay up to date with the latest Business Architecture Guild® news and events
- Stay up to date with the latest S2E resources, events, and news
Ready to Take the Next Step
When you are ready to take the next step to become a business architecture practitioner or more seriously increase your knowledge of the discipline, these resources and activities will start providing you with depth and breadth.
- Evaluate means for Measuring Business Architecture Success (S2E premium download)
- Listen to the previously recorded Business Architecture Guild® webinars (requires Business Architecture Guild® membership)
- Take training from a Guild Accredited Training Partner™ (GATP™) for BIZBOK® Guide aligned training
- Read the Business Architecture Body of Knowledge™ (BIZBOK® Guide) from the Business Architecture Guild® (requires Business Architecture Guild® membership)
- Become a Certified Business Architect (CBA)®
- Read the core Business Architecture Guild® white papers:
- Linking Business Models with Business Architecture to Drive Innovation
- Business Architecture and the Customer Experience: A Comprehensive Approach for Turning Customer Needs into Action
- Business Architecture and BPM: Differentiation and Reconciliation
- Leveraging Business Architecture to Improve Business Requirements Analysis
- Business Architecture and Agile Methodologies
- Aligning Business Architecture and the Scaled Agile Framework®
- Here is a list of great resources for you to reference anytime, related to business architecture as well as other relevant disciplines, techniques, and skills.
Business Architecture-Related Books
- Business Architecture: The Art and Practice of Business Transformation, William Ulrich and Neal McWhorter
- Enterprise Architecture As Strategy: Creating a Foundation for Business Execution, Jeanne W. Ross, Peter Weill and David Robertson
- The Great Transition, James Martin
- Competitive Strategy: Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors, Michael E. Porter (Strategy)
- Competitive Advantage: Creating and Sustaining Superior Performance, Michael E. Porter (Strategy)
- Blue Ocean Strategy, W. Chan Kim and Renee Mauborgne (Strategy)
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers, Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur (Business Model)
- Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want, Alexander Osterwalder, Yves Pigneur and others (Business Model / Value Proposition)
- The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action, Robert S. Kaplan and David P. Norton (Objectives / Strategy Mapping)
- Strategy Maps: Converting Intangible Assets into Tangible Outcomes, Robert S. Kaplan and David P. Norton (Objective / Strategy Mapping)
- The Strategy-Focused Organization: How Balanced Scorecard Companies Thrive in the New Business Environment, Robert S. Kaplan and David P. Norton (Objectives / Strategy Mapping)
- This is Service Design Thinking: Basics, Tools, Cases, Marc Stickdorn and Jakob Schneider (Experience Design)
- Service Design For Business, Reason, Lovlie, Brand Flu (Experience Design)
- Designing Dynamic Organizations: A Hands-on Guide for Leaders at All Levels, Jay Galbraith, Diane Downey and Amy Kates (Organizational Design)
- slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations, Nancy Duarte (Presentations)
- Back of the Napkin, Dan Roam (Visual Facilitation)
- Gamestorming (A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers), Dave Gray, Sunni Brown and James Macanufo (Facilitation)
- The Skilled Facilitator: A Comprehensive Resource for Consultants, Facilitators, Managers, Trainers, and Coaches, New and Revised Edition, Roger Schwarz (Facilitation)
- Bridging the Gap: Mike Clark’s blog on value-driven design in business teams
- The Business Architect blog (in particular, see posts from Jeff Scott)
- The Art and Practice of Business / IT Architecture Transformation blog by William Ulrich